Whether supported through an outright gift or a planned gift, all Marine Corps University Foundation programs are made possible through the generosity and commitment of people like you. A planned gift to the Foundation helps ensure the future of the Marine Corps Education programs we provide.
Now is the time to establish an effective long-range estate and financial plan that will allow you to leave a legacy at the Marine Corps University Foundation. When you plan ahead, your legacy gift may be much larger than you thought possible.
Please consider the Foundation during your estate planning. We welcome bequests and gifts of retirement plans and would be happy to work with you to establish another type of planned gift.
Eagle, Globe and Anchor Society
The Eagle, Globe and Anchor Society honors those individuals who have established a planned gift to the Foundation through their will or trust. Including the Foundation in your estate planning will not reduce your current income, yet does enable you to provide substantial support to a cause that is important to you. Bequests, both large and small, have been important to the Foundation. Charitable giving through your will or trust can benefit your heirs as well. Bequests that reduce the size of your taxable estate can reduce gift and estate taxes. There are several bequest giving methods:
- A percentage bequest expresses your gift as a percent of estate value.
- A specific bequest designates a specific value left to a particular cause.
- A residual bequest passes specific property to charity only if certain events occur, such as a beneficiary relinquishing the rights to an inheritance, or a beneficiary predeceasing you.
Remember, charitable gifts made through your will or trust are deductible for estate tax purposes. A charitable bequest may place your estate in a lower tax bracket.
You may direct your bequest to our annual fund or to a specific Marine Professional Military Education program. If you wish to direct to a specific program, simply identify your gift accordingly and we will adhere to your wishes. If you would like to establish an endowment fund through your will, please contact the Foundation. We will be happy to consult in confidence with you and your legal advisor.
Gifts of Retirement Plans
You can make a deferred gift by naming the Marine Corps University Foundation as the beneficiary of a qualified savings plan. Qualified plans may include IRA, 401(k) or 403(b) accounts.
- By designating your retirement assets, you can avoid passing on a significant tax burden which is often associated inheriting qualified savings plan assets to your heirs.
- You may reduce your estate tax while having the satisfaction of supporting the Foundation’s mission.
- When you advise us of the designation of the Foundation as a beneficiary of your qualified savings plan you will be invited to join the Eagle, Globe and Anchor Society.
To designate the Marine Corps University Foundation as the beneficiary of your qualified savings plan, please contact your plan administrator to provide the appropriate forms.